The vegetable garden is an important part of the suburban area. Vegetable crops and ornamental plants are grown on the beds. Many summer residents are engaged in the cultivation of berry bushes and grapes. For convenient plant care, a modular system is used, when a separately growing crop is neatly fenced off from the rest. This increases yields and reduces the amount of soil maintenance work.
Fence options for garden beds and shrubs
A fence is built around the perimeter of the bed, preventing drainage and shedding of the soil. This greatly facilitates the process of caring for vegetables and ornamental crops.
The limited area of the bed is easier to handle, the volume and frequency of weeding is reduced. By deepening the fence into the ground, the penetration of weeds from the outside is reduced. On sandy soil types, the fenced ridge retains moisture longer after watering and rain.
When cultivating shrubs, the fence serves as a supportive function, allowing the plant to not creep along the ground, growing within a limited area.
It also makes weeding the root area easier. It becomes easier to thin out shrubs and cut dry growths. Fruiting increases and a constant shape of the bush is maintained. For the manufacture of fences, you can use both improvised materials and finished products purchased in the store.
Neat garden fences adorn the site
Wooden board and bars
Wood is the most popular material for fencing. In almost any summer cottage, you can find scraps of boards, bars, slabs, old lining, beams, etc. All this can be used to create an enclosing box or a supporting frame.
Thick boards or blocks can be found anywhere
The design and manufacturing technology depends on the amount of material found. For example, from a long board and a pair of bars, you can build a low box that is suitable for fencing ridges with vegetables.
Among the advantages of this design are:
- low cost and low labor costs for construction;
- ease of modernization and repair;
- ease of carrying and dismantling.
The main disadvantage is that wood is a short-lived material. On damp ground, the wooden board will quickly begin to rot, and after 2-3 seasons, partial or complete repair of the structure will be required. If possible, the wood should be treated with a special antiseptic, which will reduce the harmful effects of moisture. This will allow the use of a wooden fence for 5-7 seasons.
Stone and brick
Fences made of stone and brick are rarely used, since the material can be used more worthy. Mainly used for fencing ornamental plants and flowers.
With the help of decorative stone or brick, you can beautifully arrange a flower bed
If there is an abundance of material, then with its help you can create a durable and very beautiful structure, devoid of serious flaws. The most popular solution is the edging of the garden bed with diagonal bricks. For the construction of a stone fence, cobblestone or flat slate is suitable. The cobblestone is laid out on the cement mortar, forming a small side along the edge of the flower bed or ridge.
Slate is a roofing material that is less and less used for its intended purpose. Therefore, after changing the roof, one should not rush to dispose of it. It is perfect for edging ridges.
Old slate will still come in handy on the farm
The slate sheet is cut into sheets of the required length and buried in the ground. The result is a neat fence of the desired height that can be painted over with decorative paint. The only negative is the fragility and instability of the slate. When installing slate in one layer, there is a risk of damaging the edge protruding from the ground. When the soil softens, the slate plate can be skewed.
Video: do-it-yourself slate garden fencing
The prefabricated decorative border for plastic beds is produced in the form of a sectional system: the kit contains several elements of a certain length, which are mounted using plastic pegs.
Decorative bumpers are available in various materials
In appearance, the decorative border imitates various materials, for example, edged boards, small hemp, metal forging. This type of fencing is recommended for decorating flower beds and small flower beds. For a large ridge with vegetables, it makes no sense to install a border due to the high cost of the product.
For example, a decorative border "Hemp" with a length of 1.6 m will cost 400 rubles. For fencing a garden bed of 1.5x5 m, you will need 9 sets with a total cost of 3250 rubles. For these funds, you can buy a much larger amount of lumber, which is enough for edging 3-4 ridges of the same size.
The curb tape is a finished product for framing the edges of flower beds and flower beds. For manufacturing, durable polyethylene and plastic with a thickness of up to 3 mm are used. Width varies from 10 to 50 cm. The tape has a smooth or wavy shape.
The advantages of a polyethylene border are as follows:
- creation of a fence of any shape;
- the possibility of arranging a multi-tiered bed or flower bed;
- ease of installation and dismantling;
- service life for 10-12 years.
Curb tape can be used to protect beds or flower beds of any shape
A high-quality curb tape has practically no drawbacks. Cheap products are not durable, they do not withstand the load of the soil, they deform when exposed to low temperatures. The cost of the border depends on the size. For example, 30 m of tape 30 cm high will cost 2 thousand rubles.
Metal sheets up to 2 mm thick allow you to create a strong and reliable border for fencing garden beds. It is not recommended to use regular metal, as thin plates will quickly rust and turn to dust.
For metal fencing, it is better to use galvanized steel
In summer, the metal will quickly heat up, which will lead to constant heating of the soil and its drying out. This will negatively affect the growth and fruiting of the planted plants.
To create a metal fence, it is better to use galvanized steel with a polymer coating. The material has a long service life, keeps its shape well, is not afraid of temperature extremes and high humidity.
The only negative is the high price. In the absence of funds, the construction of metal fences for large ridges is unreasonably expensive. The cost of ready-made boards for open ground beds of 1x2 m in size starts from 1,700 rubles. The boards for ridge sizes 1x5 m cost 3,500 rubles, and 1x10 m - 6,700 rubles.
Plastic bottles and pipes
Plastic containers are perfect for the construction of a decorative fence for flower beds and small ridges. The container is filled with sand, after which it is turned over and buried in the ground at 1/3 of its height. If desired, the bottles can be painted with paint to hide the unattractive appearance.
You can use plastic bottles of different colors
Trims of plastic pipe can be adapted to construct a support frame for short bushes. This structure is easily assembled using connecting fittings (elbow tee). If necessary, it can be easily disassembled or moved to a new place.
Fittings or metal pipe trims are useful for creating shrub fences. Metal rods are tied with wire or welded at the joints.
From reinforcement and plastic pipe, you can create a support frame for a bush
The design has high strength, durable and does not require dismantling for the winter. It can be painted over for more decorative effect. In fact, any metal rods with a cross section of 8-10 mm or more are suitable for creating shrub fences. For example, pipes with a diameter of more than 30 mm can be cut in half with a grinder, which will save material.
Video: options for beautiful fences for beds
Features of the fence of front gardens and flower beds
The front garden is an adjoining territory enclosed by a low fence. As a rule, the front garden is set up in front of the house and the road for planting ornamental plants.
The open front garden has no fencing and consists of flower beds, low bushes and a lawn. The closed palisade is fenced along the perimeter of the plot with a fence, the height and design of which is selected according to the exterior of the building.
In most cases, the following materials are used to make a front garden fence:
- a tree - a picket fence. The width and height of the board depends on the owner's personal preference. Usually, a board from 1–1.5 m is used, which is attached to transverse rails fixed to a concreted metal post;
- metal - forged fence with patterns. It is a ready-made section that is attached to brickwork or metal posts. Has a high cost, due to the large labor costs for their manufacture.
Stone and metal fences without gaps are rarely used, since they do not provide plants with a sufficient amount of sunlight, blocking its penetration through the fence.
Wrought iron fences are beautiful and varied
In some cases, a hedge is possible. These are plants with a dense crown that are planted close to each other. As they grow, they are pruned to form the desired crown density and shape. The result is a beautiful hedge of living plants.
The same rules apply for enclosing separate flower beds. The fence should be visually appealing and allow enough light to pass through without obscuring the plants and flowers. For flower beds located in fenced areas, it is not necessary to use an additional fence. It is enough to equip a low support structure for high colors. Small flower beds are fenced off with a box made of scrap materials or finished products, like decorative bumpers.
The nuances of grape fencing
The grape is a sun-loving plant traditionally grown in the southern regions. At a constant above-zero temperature, this culture does not need shelter and grows directly on the surface of the earth or around large trees.
In the central zone, where the average summer temperature is noticeably lower, trellises are used for comfortable growth and fruiting. These are vertical support structures made of various materials. The shape of the trellises is chosen depending on the planting scheme and grape variety.
Tapestries come in different shapes
When making tapestries yourself, it is better to use high-quality materials, since this is a massive structure, which is not rational to change every season. Especially if a person is engaged in the cultivation of grapes on a permanent basis.
Preparation for manufacturing
In order to independently make fences for the ridges or a fence for the front garden, you will need to carry out a number of preparatory measures. First of all, it is necessary to decide from what material the fence will be built.
After that, the calculation operations are performed, which make it possible to estimate the total amount of the required material, and the tool necessary for the work is prepared.
When choosing a material for a fence, one should proceed from the practical benefits and those available means that are already available. For small beds, we recommend purchasing several rolls of a decorative border, since the total cost of building fences from this material is much lower than analogues.
For people who have old lumber, trim boards or slabs, it is worth using it, since the wooden frame is the easiest to construct. In fact, you can do without buying additional accessories, since only a few metal plates and self-tapping screws are needed for assembly.
If the most durable fence is required, a prefabricated metal structure is the best choice. It is quite simple to assemble it according to the proposed instructions; the metal does not need to be additionally processed and painted. We can say that the choice of material depends entirely on the funds that the owner of the site has.
The wooden frame is the easiest to manufacture
Calculation of materials and the necessary tools
To calculate the amount of material required, you will need to determine the parameters of the ridge for which the fence will be made. The size of the bed is selected individually, depending on the needs of the owner and the plant being planted.
As an example, let's calculate a wooden board for a 1x5 m ridge:
- The perimeter of the ridge is: 2 * 5 + 2 * 1 = 12 m.To build a fence, you need 3 boards 5 m long.
- For the stability and rigidity of the box, you will need a wooden block with a section of 40 x 40 mm and a length of 2 m.
- To assemble the frame, nails or self-tapping screws 50 mm long in the amount of 12-16 pieces are suitable. For additional fixation of the legs, you can use the hanger for the metal profile, one for each corner.
When calculating the material for a plastic container fence, you will need to measure its diameter. Next, you need to divide the perimeter value by the diameter of one bottle. In our example, we get the following: 12 / 0.1015 = 118.22. That is, to fence the 1x5 m ridge, 119 plastic bottles with a diameter of 101.5 mm are required.
As a tool, you will need to prepare:
- screwdriver or hammer;
- a hacksaw for wood;
- tape measure and pencil.
Step-by-step manufacturing instructions
The manufacturing technology of a wooden box for a ridge consists of the following stages:
- The board is marked according to the size and shape of the future bed. With the help of a hacksaw, 4 boards are sawn off on wood, according to the markings applied.
- The resulting blanks are fastened with self-tapping screws or nails. For this, the end of the short board is fixed to the end of the long blade. The self-tapping screw is screwed through at the top and bottom. Distance from the edge is about 20–30 mm.
For fixing the board, self-tapping screws 50 mm long are used
- The legs for the box are made of a wooden block, which must be cut into 4 pieces 50 cm long. At the base, the block is trimmed with an ax until a sharp cone is obtained.
- Next, the leg is applied to the corner joint and screwed on with a 50 mm long self-tapping screw. The upper screw is screwed into a short board, and the lower one into a long one. This will give the structure the necessary strength and stability.
For additional fixation of the leg, a metal plate or profile hanger is used
- It is recommended to strengthen the frame with a length of more than 5 m with a metal strip or a profile hanger. To do this, cut off a piece of sheet metal 3x20 cm and bend it in the shape of an angle. Self-tapping screws 16 mm are used for fastening.
The fence goes deep into the soil and digs in around the perimeter
- At the last stage, the assembled frame must be covered with a wood preservative. This will protect the wood from moisture and sunlight. After that, you can proceed to the preparation of the ridge and the installation of the frame in its proper place.
To install the frame, you can use 2 methods:
- the frame is installed in any convenient place without first digging the soil and is filled with earth;
- the frame is placed in the selected place and dug around the perimeter.Further, the box is removed, and the soil is completely dug over the entire area of the ridge. Then the frame is placed on the ridge and dug around the perimeter.
This technology allows you to assemble a box for a ridge or flower bed of any size. When making a frame for flower beds, fastening the legs to the plates is not necessary.
When constructing a fence from a plastic container, you will need to dig a trench along the perimeter of the ridge with a depth of 20 cm. The bottles must be filled with earth or sand and installed in the trench with the cork down. After the formation of a row, the bottles are sprinkled with earth.
How to make a fence for medium-sized bushes
For the manufacture of a support fence for bushes, a wooden block 50x50x6000 mm and a wooden lath 25x50x3000 mm are used. Self-tapping screws with a length of 50 and 80 mm are suitable as fasteners.
The fencing manufacturing process will consist of the following:
- Depending on the height of the bush, we cut a wooden block into 4 pieces of equal length. For a medium-sized bush, blanks 75–90 cm long are sufficient. We sharpen one of the ends of the bar with an ax until a cone is obtained.
We prepare four bars and four planks
- We measure the width of the bush at a height of 75–90 cm. According to this value, we saw off 4 strips of equal length.
- Prepared structural elements must be coated with a waterproof varnish or wood preservative.
Wooden elements must be treated with an antiseptic
- Next, we mark the place for the pointed bars and drive in to an equal depth. If necessary, you can use a level to fix the horizontal position of the bar.
- We put one pair of wooden slats on the bars and fasten them using a self-tapping screw 50 mm long. It is advisable to tighten the fasteners so that they are located directly in the center of the end of the bar.
Fasteners are located in the center of the end of the bar
- The second pair of planks is laid in the same way. For fastening, self-tapping screws 80 mm long are used, which are twisted at the corners of the rail. The fastener diagram can be seen in the diagram above.
A simple timber frame is suitable for medium sized shrubs
The technology for constructing a fencing from reinforcement is similar. It is required to cut the metal rod into 4 pieces of equal length using a grinder. Further, measurements are taken along the width of the bush and 4 more rods of equal length are sawn off.
It is better to use welding to fasten the rods together. Then the structure will be the most durable, which will allow you to transfer it from place to place, if the need arises.
Video: rebar currant fence
For the manufacture of a single-plane trellis, you will need metal or wooden poles, steel wire, a cement-sand mixture and a container for mixing it.
- The pillars are arranged in a row with a step of 4–6 m. The height of the pillar above the soil is from 2 to 3.5 m. The supports along the edges of the trellis are concreted to give the structure sufficient strength.
The posts must have a diameter of 7-10 cm
- A hole in the ground 70–80 cm deep is dug under each pillar. For this, a manual or electric earth drill is used. After that, the concrete solution is mixed and the end supports are concreted. If desired, all supports can be concreted, which will allow in the future to make a hinged canopy or expand the trellis in the upper part.
- After the concrete mixture has hardened, they proceed to pulling the wire. The bottom row is located 40–45 cm from the ground. Subsequent rows are stretched in 35–40 cm increments. Usually 3-4 rows of wire are used.
Bunches of grapes must not touch the ground
- For fastening the wire, threaded metal hooks are used. To do this, a hole is drilled in the post for the diameter of the hook. After that, the hook is screwed in and the wire is attached to it. If the support pillars are made of wood, then it is recommended to cover the lower part with an antiseptic before installing them.
The most effective trellis with 4-5 rows of wire
Video: do-it-yourself single-plane trellis for grapes
It is not particularly difficult to make fences for ridges or shrubs on your own. The above methods are simple - you don't need to be a builder and have special skills to implement them. It will take 3-4 hours of personal time and a simple tool that can be found at any dacha.
Vegetable garden: how to fence the beds in the country with your own hands from scrap materials
If you are equipping a greenhouse or decorating a high bed, it is best to use a metal fence. During their manufacture, they are protected with a polymer coating so that the material does not succumb to moisture.
- Decorative mill - 110 photos of uses in landscape design
- DIY children's swing: 80 photos of the best options for simple and high-quality swings
- House for children: how to make a beautiful and stylish house with your own hands. 70 photos and projects
Be careful when using the metal border in the sun. The structure gets hot and can harm the plants that are near the hedge.
Galvanized railings are durable and available in a variety of decorative options and colors. The fence is easy to install and fits perfectly into all design solutions.
Among the disadvantages, in addition to overheating, it is worth noting the high cost. But the price is justified, if you get this type of border, you can use it for several decades.
Why are fences needed?
DIY flower bed borders
The main purpose of the fence is creation of completeness of the flower garden design. It is this element, as it were, "ideologically" divides the space into two important parts (the flower garden and the surrounding garden).
But in addition to this function, the fence carries several additional ones:
- Dividing a garden or vegetable garden into zones. In some cases, this is very important, since different parts of the garden can have different aesthetic values (for example, for games, recreation, etc.). Zoning also helps to separate incompatible plants from each other and avoid overgrowth of certain crops.
- Restrictions on the spread of plants both within the flower garden and outside. This function is to some extent protective, preventing overly active plants from interfering with the growth of others. In addition, in some cases, fencing is an insurmountable obstacle to the spread of diseases and pests.
- Protection of the flower garden from external influences of a different plan: for example, dogs or cats
- Garden paths can actually act as a fence. Thus, this element serves a dual purpose. It is not only aesthetically pleasing, but also practical.
- Depending on the height and design of the fence, it can also provide (at least partly) protection from the weather - wind, sun or water currents.
Flowerbeds in the country with their own hands
In general, the height of the fences depends on which plants are growing in the flower bed.... For undersized or ground cover plants, there is no need for too high fences or fences - it is enough to make a structure of a small height, for example, from stone or brick.
High landings (for example, dahlias or perennial chrysanthemums) will require appropriate fences: picket fence, wrought iron trellises, etc.
Fence selection criteria
Before choosing the type and material of fences, you need to decide on their purpose.
Typically, a fence for private houses performs the following functions:
- denotes the boundaries of the adjacent territory
- prevents the entry of unwanted visitors and animal raids
- serves as a basis for creating a hedge
- protects neighbors and passers-by from prying eyes, ensuring privacy
- protects against dust and noise
- decorates a personal plot.
Fence as a decoration of the territory
If you need to completely isolate the local area, then the best option would be to install solid fences that are resistant to mechanical damage. Use openwork wrought iron fences and low wooden fences to decorate the landscape and indicate boundaries.
When planning the construction of fences around the site, pay attention to the following factors:
Location If your house is located next to a highway or a busy street, then it should be fenced off with a deaf high fence. It will protect against uninvited guests and road noise, as well as reduce the amount of dust entering the area.
Architectural style of home ownership The shape and decor of the fence should look harmoniously with the landscape and the building, so the laconicism of a simple house will be set off by a medium-height construction made of picket fence or living plants. For solid mansions with many turrets and other decorations, a fencing of a complex configuration made of natural stone or brick in combination with metal structures is suitable.
Interesting design, eye-catching
The amount of financial investments that you planned to spend on the installation of fences is also important. The choice of material and the complexity of the design depends on the amount of estimated costs.
Do-it-yourself beds made of plastic panels
With a good owner, the backyard should not only yield a harvest, but also look attractive. And to make flower beds and beds look more neat, you need to use curbs or other types of fences.
Do-it-yourself beds made of plastic panels
Previously, such fences were predominantly wooden and therefore short-lived. Even with regular painting, wood absorbs moisture, rots and swells, moreover, mold or harmful microorganisms can develop in it. Finally, under the influence of sunlight, it can simply crack. But modern plastic fences do not have such disadvantages - they are reliable and durable structures with a long service life, which not only perform protective functions, but can also decorate the entire site.
Contents of step-by-step instructions:
Advantages of plastic panels for garden beds
Garden bed design options
Such panels have a number of advantages that distinguish them favorably from other types of borders.
- First of all, the atmospheric plastic from which street fences are made is immune to temperature extremes. Thanks to this, the curbs can be safely used regardless of climatic conditions.
- The cost of such products is low (for example, a three-meter "garden constructor" with a height of 21 cm costs about 800 rubles, and a border tape measuring 0.12x15-3000 cm - about 950 rubles).
- Plastic is an unnatural material, which means that it does not decompose, does not fade under UV rays, and mold does not develop on it. It is all this that determines the practicality and durability.
- Also, this material is quite durable, it keeps its shape perfectly, so it can be used for beds of a wide variety of shapes.
In the photo, the beds of a fancy shape with a plastic fence
Thanks to all these advantages, plastic fences are very popular among gardeners and florists.
The main types of plastic fences
The modern assortment of borders for beds and flower beds is quite large, so everyone can choose the option that suits him best.
Application of border tapes
The popularity of the plastic border is primarily due to the ease of installation, affordable cost and excellent aesthetic characteristics. Tapes are sold in rolls, the length of which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. The thickness of the material varies in the range of 0.5-2 mm, while the height of the fences can be from 10 cm to 28 cm.When buying, you need to choose a specific width of the material based on the plants that are planted in the area: the higher they are, the wider it should be a border tape.
Note! As for the density, it is better to give preference to that plastic, whose axis of rigidity runs along the upper edge.
This material allows you to easily build land structures of various shapes and sizes. It is also worth noting that the ribbons are divided into several groups by texture and color (corrugated, wavy, etc.). On the practical side of application, these parameters do not in any way affect, however, they play a very important role in terms of decorativeness.
Fencing the flower garden with border tapes
Methods of using curb tapes
- Products with a width of less than 10 cm can be used to restrict the construction of bulk paths. Such belts allow the construction of paths of any shape and prevent material from scattering.
- Wider fences (up to 25 cm) are used for beds, especially inclined ones - this way moisture will be held in the desired area, and not spread beyond its - area - limits.
- Shrubs and grasses, which propagate by root shoots, are fenced with tapes up to 30 cm wide.
Also, such fences can be used to completely seal greenhouses. To do this, the tape is placed around the entire perimeter of the greenhouse, so that pests and weeds do not penetrate into it.
Application of tape in the greenhouse
In addition, decorative flower beds (including multi-tiered ones), small artificial reservoirs, fruit trees, seedlings, paths are fenced with the help of ribbons. Finally, products of the maximum width are used to create compost pits.
Plastic Curb Tape Option
How to install the curb tape
The installation procedure, as noted above, is not difficult. The main working material is the tape itself. You will need scissors for the cut, and liquid nails or a soldering iron for fastening. It is advisable to do the work with an assistant.
First, a trench is dug around the perimeter of the bed under the curb (the depth depends on the specific width of the fence). To protect plants from the cold, it is desirable that the tape is wide. The curbs are completed with plastic pegs, which need to be dug in at the corners, as well as along the perimeter with a step indicated in the instructions, and then pull the tape itself between them. After that, the trench is covered with earth. As you can see, everything is extremely simple.
The remnants of the material must be rolled up and placed in a dry place - it may still come in handy. With the onset of winter, it is advisable to cover the border with something so that it does not lose its appearance. You cannot step on the fence - it may not support the weight and crack.
Speaking about the beds made of plastic panels with your own hands, one cannot but mention the Garden Board. The fact is that, with all its advantages, the curb tape is not very strong, therefore it can be damaged by strong mechanical stress. But the strength of the "Garden board" (represents panels up to 15 cm wide, which can reach 300 cm in length) is higher.
Plastic "Garden board"
Such panels are equipped with special grooves and protrusions, which greatly simplifies and speeds up the connection procedure. With the help of these products, you can fence both garden beds and, for example, children's sandboxes, recreation areas, etc. The surface of the Garden Board is smooth, the panels themselves are capable of withstanding heavy loads, and it is extremely difficult to scratch them.
The color of the fence varies from brown to white. Thanks to this, the panels can be used when building various decorative compositions on the site.
Fencing use case
Note! In closed beds and greenhouses, such a fence is irreplaceable, since you can easily attach a film or an iron frame to it. Plastic panels prevent the beds from scattering, they are resistant to temperature and humidity extremes.
The only drawback of "Garden board" can be considered a rather high cost. As for the installation, it takes a few minutes and does not require any special skills.
Narrow curb beds
Table. Installation of plastic panels
Modern options for decorative beds, borders, fences
Plastic is one of the most attractive modern garden fence materials. It does not need much maintenance, is easy to install, strong and durable. But when buying, you need to require certificates to be sure of environmental safety.
Flexible curb tape
A plastic cloth with a wavy surface of green or brown color has a height of 20 to 50 centimeters. The advantages of the curb tape are obvious:
- easy installation with a minimum of tools: large stapler, scissors, tape measure and scoop
- it is easy to give it the desired shape
- does not rot, does not decompose in the soil.
The only but significant drawback is low strength. The material is easily susceptible to mechanical stress.
Video: how to decorate the beds using border tape
Garden board and constructor
Another option for plastic boards is a garden board. It is durable, capable of withstanding heavy loads, and has a smooth surface. Width - up to 15 cm, length - up to 3 meters. For ease of connection, the boards are equipped with special fasteners. A variety of colors allows you to collect bright, colorful compositions.
A type of curb tape is a garden constructor. Outwardly, it looks like a wooden block. Important advantages are the ability to vary the shape and size, as well as ease of installation. It is enough to connect the individual elements with each other with fasteners and press the structure into the wet ground. The downside is the high cost.
Video: how to assemble a garden bed from a garden constructor
If the plot is large, then the costs of landscaping it using flexible tape or garden boards will be large. And here we can be rescued by plastic bottles. It is enough to pick them up with the same volume, fill them with sand for stability and strength, and dig them upside down into the ground about half the height. If you use containers of different colors, then it is better to install in a certain order. Then the border will look the most aesthetically pleasing. To add brightness, you can paint the resulting fence with water-based paint.
Plastic pipes are well suited for fencing large and small spreading shrubs. To lift all the branches and keep the berries clean, it is advisable to install specially designed holders around the plants.
Photo gallery: types of plastic fences
DIY garden fencing: a creative approach
Creating unusual fences with your own hands is not only interesting, but also useful. They take a lot of items that are considered garbage. Instead of throwing them away, use the junk material to craft useful things in your garden and vegetable garden.
Slate sheets can serve as a beautiful border for ridges. Their only drawback is fragility. But slate is not subject to decay or corrosion, does not heat up in the sun and does not collapse from frost in winter. The fence can be used for how many years, if you treat it with care and do not expose it to impacts while processing the beds.
The slate curb can be buried 20-30 cm into the soil by digging grooves and installing sheets in them. This will protect the bed from the penetration of bindweed, wheatgrass and similar weeds with underground rhizomes.
Craftsmen make the most beautiful fences from glass and PET bottles. Plastic and glass are the most durable materials that do not decompose or corrode. Glassware is more often used as a masonry material. They fasten the bottles with cement, erecting strong retaining walls and fences for flower beds or beds from them.
It is advisable to fill colored plastic bottles with sand before installation. This will give them greater strength. The containers are closed with lids and dug upside down into the grooves prepared in advance. The fence resembles a chock fence, but does not need processing and painting. Curly bottoms of PET bottles serve as an additional decoration.
To use the tires as a ridgeline, 1 or both of the round pieces must be removed. For a small round ridge, the tire is placed with the cut side up. If ridges of an oval or other shape are needed, the side surfaces of the wheel (tread) are used. They can be cut and made into tape by digging it into a groove around the perimeter of the ridge.
When using wheels from heavy vehicles or a tractor, the bed will turn out to be large. The wheels cut in half are cut into the soil with slices. The curb from the arcs is easy to paint using the tread pattern.
It is convenient to collect vertical beds from tires, which save space in the garden. The wheels used as fencing are stacked on top of each other and filled with soil. Holes for plants are cut in the sides. This way you can grow strawberries, greens, peas and beans.
Household items are often used as parts of the fence: pot lids, plates with a chipped edge, and other dishes. How to use this waste material, gardeners are told by their own imagination. It is convenient to dig flat objects into the soil up to 1/3 -1/2 of the diameter, creating low decorative fences. Bulky teapots, pots, etc. are convenient to use for wrapping the edges of ridges around the perimeter.
DIY concrete border for garden beds
You can make a concrete fence in different ways:
- Cast the curb elements into molds, and then set them on the ridge. Any containers suitable for the conceived design are used for casting. If necessary, you can search in stores for forms for paving slabs in the form of boards or other shapes. A solution of 1 part of cement and 3 parts of sand is mixed, poured into a mold and left to set (12-24 hours). Then the tiles are removed and left for 21 days before reaching full strength. The border is dug in along the perimeter.
- Using formwork from boards or plywood, the fence is cast in place of the ridge. A ditch about 30 cm deep is dug along the perimeter, a solution is mixed from 1 part of cement, 3 - sand and 4 - fine gravel, poured to the soil level and allowed to harden for several hours. Then plywood sheets of the desired height are placed along the edges of the ditch. Concrete is poured into the formwork and left for 24 hours. The formwork can then be removed and the curb can be left to stand for 21 days.
- Place a ready-made concrete curb around the ridges.
To decorate a cast fence, you can use paints and colors for concrete.
It is not difficult to make a fence for the beds on your own. Use your skills and imagination for this, then there will be an opportunity to make the garden well-groomed. Along the way, you can get rid of construction waste and unnecessary things.