Gardeners are curious people. They experiment with different varieties of tomatoes, trying to find the very plant that gives an excellent harvest, practically does not get sick and requires a minimum of care. To help workers, breeders create many new varieties, often with a very exotic appearance. For example, the Black Prince tomato - at first glance, it has very unusual fruits. But having tasted them, you will probably want to know its characteristics and the secrets of growing.
Description of tomato Black Prince
We have long been accustomed to the color assortment of tomatoes. We are no longer confused by the yellow color of the fruit, we enjoy the taste of pink tomatoes. But black? This is somehow unusual and exotic. Although such tomatoes are increasingly found on the market. By the way, the appearance, which is not quite appetizing for someone, is deceiving, in fact, tomatoes with such an unusual color are very tasty. So let me imagine His Majesty is the Black Prince tomato.
I will not say exactly where this variety was bred, there is a lot of conflicting information on this score. And it doesn't matter if this miracle appeared in China or Holland. But the Black Prince is included in the State Register of Russia. It happened in 2000. The variety is recommended for growing in garden and garden plots, as well as in small farms in all regions of Russia. Remarkably, the tomato feels great both in the open field and under a film cover.
Black Prince tomatoes can be grown in any region of the country
Recently, the term indeterminacy is often used in the description of varieties. It means the tallness of the plant. So, the Black Prince is just such a variety. Its height is as much as 1.5 m. And in suitable greenhouse conditions, for example, a bush grows up to 2 m at all. The stem is strong. Leaves are medium in size and in a typical crop shape. The inflorescence is simple, intermediate type. The first is laid over 7 - 9 sheets, the subsequent ones appear through 3 sheet plates. On average, 4 to 7 tomatoes are formed on a cluster.
Quite a lot of fruits can be laid in one brush of the Black Prince variety.
The fruits of the Black Prince have a flat-round, medium-silvery shape. The unripe fruit is green with a darker spot at the stalk. Despite the fact that the variety is called the Black Prince, the color of the ripe fruit is not at all black. It is rather red-violet-brown. The skin is thin, the pulp is juicy, sweetish and aromatic. These combinations make the tomato ideal for fresh consumption. True, the fruit contains more than 4 nests with seeds. But they are small and do not spoil the overall impression.
Tomato pulp Black Prince is fleshy and very tasty
Characteristics of the variety
The set of characteristics of the Black Prince tomato is more than attractive, although there are some drawbacks.
- The Black Prince belongs to the mid-season varieties. From emergence to ripeness, 115 days pass.
- The variety is hybrid. Self-pollination is one of its advantages. But self-harvested seeds can produce unpredictable results. Therefore, for growing the Black Prince, it is better to buy seed from trusted producers.
- The average fruit weight is from 110 to 170 g. Weight depends on the number of ovaries in the brush. The more there are, the lower the mass of the tomato.
- The yield of marketable products is very good - 6.2 - 7 kg per 1 m².
- Like all hybrids, the Black Prince has good immunity to diseases and pests. The advantage is that it is rarely affected by late blight.
- The variety is plastic, easily adapts to the environment and bears fruit until the very cold.
- But the thin skin makes it impossible for long-term transportation and storage, so the variety is not of commercial interest. The peel will not save the fruit from cracking.
- You cannot classify it as a universal variety. The large size of the fruit and the thin skin make it impossible to use the variety in seaming. But fresh tomato is just a storehouse of essential nutrients for the body.
If you want to get large tomatoes of the Black Prince variety, the number of fruits in the brush will have to be normalized
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety - table
Distinguishing trait of the Black Prince
Despite the fact that the Black Prince is a hybrid variety, it is not a genetically modified plant. This is its difference, say, from another similar variety - the Black Moor. Therefore, it is possible to eat the Black Prince tomato without a threat to health.
Unlike the Black Prince, the Black Moor tomato is a genetically modified variety.
Features of growing and planting tomatoes Black Prince
The Black Prince tomato attracts with the fact that it is suitable for different regions. That is why the methods of its cultivation and planting are somewhat different. So, in the southern regions, the variety is perfectly grown in open ground with seeds. In cold regions, it is recommended to use the seedling method.
This method allows you to get an earlier harvest. Therefore, it is so popular with gardeners in all regions of the country.
Before sowing, the seeds must be prepared.
- Go through the seeds, leaving whole and large ones.
- You can check the quality of the planting material by soaking it in water. Seeds that have an embryo will sink to the bottom, empty ones will float up.
- In order to disinfect the seed, it must be kept for 15 - 20 minutes in 1 or 2% manganese solution. Then the seeds are soaked in a growth stimulator for 10 - 12 hours. The solution is prepared according to the instructions.
Manganese will help disinfect tomato seeds before sowing
But it should be noted that already processed seeds are on sale. They are covered with a special colored shell and are ready for disembarkation without any additional preparation.
After that, rinse the seeds, wrap them in a damp cloth and leave them in the refrigerator overnight, placing them on the bottom shelf. Do not over tighten with sowing, as wet seeds germinate very quickly.
To grow seedlings, you will need loose nutrient soil and a rectangular planting container. The soil can be purchased at a garden store. To prepare the mixture yourself, you will need:
- 7 parts of peat;
- 1 part sawdust;
- 1 part of turf land.
- 3 parts of peat;
- 1 part of humus;
- 0.5 parts of mullein and humus.
Before use, such a substrate must be calcined in the oven to disinfect.
To disinfect the soil, it can be calcined in the oven or spilled with a solution of the same potassium permanganate
Planting dates largely depend on where exactly you will grow tomatoes in the future. If the seedlings are intended for open ground, then the seeds are sown in March-April. If the material is prepared for greenhouses, then sowing occurs earlier - in February-March.
The age of seedlings ready for transplanting into open ground is about 60 days.
Step by step process
- Moisten the soil with a spray gun, push the rows with a wooden ruler at a distance of 5 cm from each other. Put the seeds in them every 2 - 3 cm. Sprinkle the sown seeds on top with dry soil. Planting depth is not more than 2 cm.
- For seed germination, you need to create suitable temperature conditions - at least 15 ° C heat. To create a comfortable environment, cover the container with glass or put on a plastic bag, put it in a warm and well-lit place.
- Do not forget to ventilate the greenhouse daily and moisten the soil with a spray bottle as needed.
- Seedlings will appear in 10 days. After that, the shelter can be removed, but do it gradually.
After emergence, the shelter is removed
Seedling care rules
For seedlings to grow strong and healthy, they require proper care.
- The temperature is not higher than 25 ° С.
- Proper watering - moisten with water at room temperature and strictly at the root. Avoid overdrying and waterlogging of the soil.
- If the seedlings stretch out due to a lack of light, illuminate them with a phytolamp or fluorescent lamp.
- Top dressing is carried out twice. After the appearance of the first pair of leaves and when 6 - 7 leaves grow on the seedlings. In fertilizing fertilizers, a universal complex fertilizer is used, adhering to the norms. Indicated on the packaging.
Supplementing will help to avoid unnecessary stretching of tomato seedlings
This procedure is carried out when 2 - 3 true leaves appear on the seedlings (do not confuse with cotyledons). The procedure consists in transplanting the seedling into a separate container, in which the plant will have the opportunity to grow the root system.
Some experts recommend carrying out several picks, each time increasing the volume of the container.
Step by step process
- Water the seedlings well before starting the procedure. After 3 hours, you can start picking.
- Pour nutritious soil mixture into separate containers - about half the volume, moisten.
- Then, using a spoon, pry the seedling along with the earthy clod and transfer it to a new pot. Add enough soil so that the plant is buried before the cotyledons begin to grow.
- After planting, keep the seedlings in a shaded place for 2 - 3 days. For the first 2 weeks, the plants need good, but not over-watering. Maintain the temperature within 22 ° C.
After the pick, each seedling ends up in a separate container.
1.5 - 2 weeks before planting in open ground, you can start hardening the seedlings. Start by lowering night temperatures, then take the young plants outside for a short time. Increase the time spent in the fresh air every day by 30 - 40 minutes. At first, the seedlings need to be slightly shaded from the bright sun.
Open ground transplant
In the southern regions, the seedlings of the Black Prince are planted in open ground in mid-May. In cooler areas, these dates may shift to the end of the month or even the beginning of June. If the weather is unstable, then the bed can be covered with a film cover, which can be easily dismantled.
The transplant is carried out on a cloudy day or in the evening, so that the bright sun does not overwhelm the planted plant. The distance between the bushes should be at least 60 cm. The row spacing is about 1 m. This is a prerequisite so that tall tomatoes do not interfere with each other getting the maximum amount of sunlight and do not compete for moisture and nutrition.
When planting tomato seedlings Black Prince, do not forget to observe the distance between the bushes
- A 50/40 cm hole is dug on a garden bed prepared in the fall. It should easily accommodate the root system.
- The plant is placed in the direction from south to north, slightly tilted and covered with earth in cotyledonous leaves.
- After planting, the soil is lightly tamped and watered with at least 1 liter of water.
If nutrients were not added to the bed during soil preparation, they are applied directly to the hole, thoroughly mixed with the soil. For one bush, add 50 g of ammonium nitrate and 100 g of potassium-rich wood ash.
Wood ash contains many nutrients necessary for the growth of tomatoes.
Features of growing in the open field
Planted seedlings or seed-grown tomatoes need good conditions and care. The most favorable temperature for the formation and ripening of fruits is 28 ° C. But if we are unable to influence the temperature regime, then we must provide proper care.
Watering and feeding
Tomatoes Black Prince are hygrophilous. This is due to the large size of the plant and its large size. The soil under the bush should not be too dry. Therefore, water it regularly. A good moisturizing method is the drip system. Thanks to this method, the water gets strictly under the root, and the leaves and stem remain dry. Seedlings need more frequent watering, because their root system is only reclaiming the soil and is not able to satisfy the tomato's need for moisture.
Choose morning or evening hours for watering. At this time, the sun is not so bright, and if water accidentally falls on the leaves, a burn will not happen.
Despite the Black Prince's love for watering, it is impossible to overmoisten the soil. If tomatoes are grown in too moist soil, they will ache, and ripening fruits will become watery and cracked. When scheduling watering, it is imperative to take into account precipitation and soil type.
If there is no drip system, then you can dig irrigation grooves along the bed
When growing the Black Prince, you can't do without fertilizers. Top dressing is applied every 2 weeks, and you need to alternate root with foliar. From organic matter, tomatoes prefer humus and slurry. Fertilizers with a balanced composition are used as a mineral top dressing:
- Humate station wagon;
- Humate + 7;
- Fortica wagon.
Foliar dressing is carried out only in the evening. The solution for it is prepared less concentrated than for fertilization in the usual way.
Humate will help reduce soil acidity and have a positive effect on tomato growth.
Garter and shaping
The tallness of the Black Prince suggests that you cannot do without a garter. It is especially important to tie up fruit brushes, on which rather big tomatoes ripen. If this is not done in time, the hand will simply break under the weight of the fruit.
- the plant is formed into 1 trunk on an individual support with the removal of the lower leaves and all stepsons. Stepsons do not need to break out, but carefully cut off with a sharply sharpened knife with a small blade;
- to increase the mass of fruits, the number of ovaries in the brush is normalized;
- at the end of the growing season, the growth point must be pinched, otherwise the set fruits will not have time to ripen.
The black prince in the greenhouse and in the open field is formed in different ways
Features of growing in a greenhouse
Black Prince tomatoes are successfully grown in greenhouses. Moreover, the yield increases due to the formation of the bush and suitable conditions. A feature of growing varieties in greenhouses is the ability to sow seeds or plant seedlings. In one case or another, the greenhouse climate will help the tomato to develop quickly and enter the fruiting period. But indoors there are nuances, on the observance of which both the health of the plant and its yield depend.
- maintaining a temperature regime favorable for setting and ripening fruits in a greenhouse is easier to control;
- with humidity, things are a little different - it is often increased, and this can provoke fungal diseases. Therefore, constant airing should become the norm;
- the same applies to watering. Indoors, the soil dries out more slowly than in an open bed. Before you start watering, do not be lazy and check the level of soil moisture;
- treatment of bushes from diseases and pests should be carried out in a timely manner, since in a comfortable environment the problem that has arisen spreads very quickly;
- greenhouse soil requires annual decontamination. In order not to accumulate pathogens, it is recommended not to use the same greenhouse for growing tomatoes from year to year. If there is no other possibility, in small greenhouses they resort to changing the top layer of the soil or steaming it. Chemicals are used on large areas. The most common is a solution of copper or iron sulfate. You can also use sulfur checkers.
The greenhouse is a great place for growing tall tomato Black Prince
Processing in open and closed ground
Despite the fact that the Black Prince has good immunity, processing is an integral part of care when grown both outdoors and indoors.
Disease prevention begins at the stage of preparing seeds for planting. For this, a manganese solution or hydrogen peroxide is used.
Late blight and company
If in an open garden a tomato is least susceptible to late blight, then in an unheated greenhouse, where high humidity often prevails, the disease can develop suddenly and rapidly. Various means are used to combat it:
- Ridomil Gold;
If the fruits are already ripening on the tomato, then it is best to get rid of the problem identified in time with folk remedies:
- garlic tincture - 200 g of chopped raw materials are poured with a glass of warm water. After a day, filter and add to 10 liters of water. To prevent the solution from rolling off the leaves, a little grated laundry soap is introduced into its composition;
- milk solution or whey - for 10 liters of water 2 liters of any of the products.
Late blight destroys all the efforts of gardeners
In addition to late blight, at different stages of development, a black leg or fruit rot may threaten a tomato. These diseases are easier to prevent. And all you need to do is follow the correct agricultural techniques:
- remove plant debris from under the bush in time, especially in the greenhouse;
- observe the irrigation regime, and pour water strictly at the root;
- after watering, loosen the soil.
Rot on tomatoes can be different, but the result is the same - spoiled fruits
On an open bed in conditions of high air temperature and insufficient watering, the Black Prince's tomatoes can be attacked by spider mites, aphids or thrips. In the fight against this problem, you can use 3 tried and tested techniques.
- correct agricultural technology will initially prevent the development of favorable conditions for the reproduction of harmful insects;
- folk remedies are used when the number of insects is small or the harvest is already ripening on the bushes. The most common way to ward off a pest is with soapy water. It is cooked in a ratio of 1: 4 or 1: 6. For greater efficiency, the treatment can be repeated several times;
- chemical preparations are used when there is no other way out. The choice of drugs is wide, but Planta-Pit, Actellic or Fitoverm are most often used. Before use, you need to carefully study the instructions. And remember that after processing, a certain time must pass before you can eat tomatoes.
In the greenhouse, another threat can watch out - slugs. In order not to harm health, the following methods are used against them:
- manual collection;
- bio- and phytopreparations.
If processing in the greenhouse can be carried out at any time, then choose a calm evening for an open garden. And try to check the weather forecast, to fight the disease, any remedy should last on the leaves for at least a day. And if it rains, the processing will have to start over.
Slugs to taste and ripe fruits, and not yet ripe
Reviews of the Black Prince variety
Many gardeners have already appreciated the unpretentiousness of the Black Prince. Incredibly, this personage of royal blood requires minimal attention. But on the other hand, how beautiful and unusual the tall bushes of this variety, hung with large fruits, look in the garden and in the greenhouse. And a fresh tomato in a salad will be an excellent source of vitamins for the whole family, because black tomatoes are considered one of the healthiest.
Good day! My name is Irina. I live in a wonderful place - Crimea. Educator by education. I love nature and animals very much. I have been fond of floriculture for a long time, but I have just begun to master garden wisdom. My motto is live, learn.
Rate the article:
(0 votes, average: 0 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Pros and cons of tomato Black Prince
The Black Prince tomato has the following positive qualities:
- wonderful taste and aroma
- unusual color
- good yield indicators
- ease of care
- good fruit ripening
- has immunity to many tomato diseases, including root rot
- short shelf life
- the need for a garter and pinching.
Reviews who planted
For five years now I have been growing Black Prince tomatoes in a greenhouse. I like it very much in taste and appearance. But to get a good harvest, you have to tinker a lot. But the expended efforts are covered by an abundance of amazing and exotic fruits. I recommend it to all gardeners, you will not regret it.
I really like the taste of the tomato. For some reason, my yield is low, but the beauty and unusual taste delight. The bushes grew no more than 1.5 meters. I always grew it in a greenhouse, led a bush in one stem. I cut off the tops in early August, otherwise the tomatoes will not have time to ripen. Phytophthora will come and that's it, I try to have time to harvest the fruits before it. If you have never grown this variety, I advise you to definitely try it.
Grew up in the garden. The height of the bushes was 1.5 m. Led in 3 stems. The average weight of the fruit was 250 g. Brown-burgundy fruit, sweet and aromatic! The variety is handsome! Favorite! I recommend to everyone.
Growing Black Prince tomatoes is not difficult, and the result is definitely worth it. The fruits of this variety will definitely suit your family's taste. If you love black-fruited tomatoes, then the Black Prince will be the best variety for you.